17.17 Supplemental Activities and Extra Compensation

(Amended 9/93; 9/95; 1/09; 3/10; 2/11; 11/12; 1/13)

17.17(1) Use of University Supplies

Other than using library materials, and, in the case of faculty, assigned office space, faculty and staff members shall not use University supplies, materials, equipment, or services for extramural activities, other than activities such as those listed in II-18.4b of the Conflict of Interest Policy, without first obtaining approval and arranging for the payment of the total cost for such use. Such prior approval is not necessary, however, when the supplies, materials, equipment, and services are generally available to University faculty or staff members upon the payment of an established fee and the fee is paid.

No faculty or staff member shall use University stationery or letterhead in connection with professional extramural activities other than activities such as those listed in II-18.4b. (See also II-33 Use of University Name.)

17.17(2) Usurpation of University Opportunities

Situations may arise in which a faculty or staff member has the option to engage in professional extramural activities either (1) as an independent consultant or through a business organization in which the faculty or staff member has an ownership interest, or, alternatively (2) through the University. In such situations, the faculty or staff member has an obligation to give the University an opportunity to decide whether it wishes to have the activity carried on under University auspices, and only if the University rejects the opportunity, is the faculty or staff member free to undertake the activity by other means. For faculty members and other staff members within a college, a written waiver of University interest shall be obtained from the dean of the college. For other staff members, a written waiver of such interest shall be obtained from the director of the unit in which the staff member serves.

17.17(3) Royalties from Course Materials

Faculty members should not profit financially from recommending or requiring the purchase of course materials by their students. Faculty members who would otherwise receive royalties or other remuneration from the purchase of books or materials which they recommend or require in courses they teach should either refund the money to the students or make other arrangements to avoid profiting from their students' use of the materials (such as transferring it to the University or one of its units, or to the University of Iowa Center for Advancement).

17.17(4) Employment on Grants and Contracts Administered by the University

  1.  Nine- or Twelve-Month Project. The federal government and the University do not allow grant funds to be used to reimburse faculty members of the grantee institution for consulting or other time in addition to a regular full-time institutional salary covering the same general period of employment. Special exceptions may be made when the work to be performed is in addition to the individual's normal full-time duties and the additional compensation payment is commensurate with institutional policy.

    The University practice in this regard is as follows:
    1. A faculty member may be relieved of some usual duties by the dean of the college so that the member may undertake sponsored research or engage in a sponsored training program. In such cases, the individual's regular salary may be divided proportionately between the general fund and the special account established by the University for the research or training project.
    2. In general, grant or contract funds are not to be used to augment the individual's salary if employment with the University is on a full-time basis. It is understood, however, that occasionally a situation may arise in which extra compensation for a limited time may be justified. Payment from grant or contract funds in addition to regular salary will be authorized only under the following conditions:
      1. When the faculty member is assigned to work overseas and when the payment of an "overseas differential" is specifically authorized by the grant or contract.
      2. When the faculty member serves on a strictly limited basis as consultant on a research or training project for which principal responsibility lies with a faculty member in another college or, in the case of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS), within another CLAS department, the work involves a separate or remote operation, and the work is in addition to the consultant's regular departmental load. In such instances the project director who arranges the consulting fee must obtain written approval through the proposed consultant's departmental executive and dean, and the Executive Vice President and Provost. Such a request for approval should include the following evidence:
        1. That the services to be provided are essential and cannot be provided by persons receiving salary support under the grant, or otherwise compensated for their services;
        2. That the charge is appropriate considering the qualifications and normal charges of the consultant, and the nature of the services to be provided.
      3. When an overload is indicated for a training institute or workshop, and it is impossible to release the faculty member from any portion of usual duties. The "overload" will not be permitted for a longer period than one semester and the amount of "overload" permitted will not be greater than an average of one day per week. The compensation for this "overload" will in no case exceed the amount appropriate for one full working day a week, in terms of the faculty member's budgeted salary.
    3. A faculty member assigned full time to a grant or contract is in every case a full-time faculty member and is thus subject to the same restrictions on accepting supplemental employment as a faculty member employed full time on the General Fund budget of the University.
  2. Summer Employment.
    1. A faculty member holding an appointment for the academic year may be employed by the University outside the academic year on a part-time or a full-time basis in summer session teaching, in sponsored research or training programs, or in other activities.
    2. Compensation for summer employment in any of these activities is based on the academic year rate of pay established for the faculty member for the academic year within the past fiscal year during which the service is rendered. University funds are not obligated to subsidize summer salaries if the grant award is less than the University's established rate for the previous nine months.
    3. A faculty member holding a full-time appointment for any portion of the summer is, during the period of appointment, a full-time staff member in the same sense as during the academic year and must abide by the same restrictions on accepting additional employment.
  3. Relatives on Grants and Contracts. See III-8 Conflict of Interest in Employment (Nepotism).
  4. Retired Faculty. Retired faculty (see III-11) may, with the permission of their departmental executive officer, dean, and the Vice President for Research, participate in or apply for externally supported sponsored research projects. The sponsor pays the full costs of such projects, and permission to continue will be subject to annual review by the persons identified above who are involved in the administrative channels of the application process.
  5. Other Personnel. Staff members on grants and contracts must be paid within the same pay scale as that of other comparable University staff members. Should salary levels requested in proposals be less than needed at time of award, or at the time of a new University budget year, the project director should either find the needed additional funds from within existing budget, request supplementary funding from the sponsor, or reduce the employment period or percentage of time devoted to the project.
  6. Those Eligible to Apply for Research Grants. University policies permit faculty, qualified Professional and Scientific staff, and postdoctoral fellows to apply for external funds to support research to be performed at The University of Iowa. The following clarifications of that policy relate to research conducted by persons who are not members of the faculty:
    1. As in the case of all research conducted by faculty, research done by persons who are not members of the faculty must be conducted within an established unit of the University. The unit executive must be willing to certify that the proposed research fits within the goals of the unit or the sub-unit conducting such research.
    2. When applicable, the unit executive must make it clear to the proposer that there is no guarantee of University salary support beyond the termination of the proposed grant or contract.
    3. The same departmental, collegiate, and central review with regard to such matters as space, effort commitment, use of human subjects, University cost-sharing as that given to faculty proposals, will take place prior to any proposal leaving the University.
    4. Those not employed by the University or those with adjunct or visiting faculty status are not eligible to be listed as proposed project directors on University grants or contracts, except under unusual circumstances and with the approval of the Vice President for Research.
    5. Graduate students may be eligible to serve as Principal Investigator on dissertation grants, research fellowships, and similar types of sponsored projects, provided (a) the project sponsor considers the student to be PI, and (b) the project includes a formally designated mentor meeting the eligibility guidelines described in III-17.17(4)f above.

17.17(5) Extension Activities

To a limited extent, a full-time faculty member may be permitted to teach extension courses or to engage in other work for the Division of Continuing Education in addition to regular duties and to receive additional compensation for such services. All such arrangements must be recommended by the departmental executive officer and approved by the collegiate dean and the Dean of the Division of Continuing Education. The faculty member will be permitted to accept such assignments only if they do not interfere with the performance of regular responsibilities. (See also III-17.13.)

17.17(6) Extra Compensation for Teaching Academic Courses

(1/13; amended 5/18)
  1. General. University of Iowa faculty members, including staff members teaching as adjunct faculty, may from time to time teach courses that are in addition to their regular "load" or in addition to their full-time positions. The University and its students benefit by this instruction and the individual employees are compensated for this extra effort in addition to their regular salary. The term "overload teaching" applies to faculty members teaching academic courses in addition to the course load requirements of a faculty member's "usual faculty activity," as determined by their effort allocation, for which a base salary is paid. UI staff members teaching as "adjunct faculty" teach over and above their assigned job duties for which their base salary is paid. As stated above in III-17.16e(1) Extra Compensation for UI Faculty and Staff, it is the responsibility of the faculty or staff member to "provide assurance that the work to be performed will not interfere with performance of regular responsibilities."
  2. Guidelines. All teaching for extra compensation must be approved on a case-by-case basis by the faculty member's departmental executive officer or equivalent, or by a staff member's supervisor and department head, and shall be conducted according to the following guidelines:
    1. Term considerations:
      1. Definition of the academic year: The University has defined the academic year as beginning three days prior to fall classes and ending with spring commencement (see III-17.9).
      2. Academic-year faculty appointments: Faculty members who hold academic-year appointments are considered full-time employees during the academic year and are assigned a base salary for the work performed during this period of employment. All teaching during the academic year that is over and above a faculty member's "usual teaching activity" will be considered overload and require approval. Courses taught over and above an academic-year faculty member's "usual teaching activity" during semester breaks (e.g., Thanksgiving, winter, spring) will be considered as being taught on overload and governed by this policy. Summer-session teaching by faculty members on academic-year appointments is exempted from the overload teaching guidelines, since the summer session is not considered part of the academic year.
      3. Fiscal year faculty appointments: All teaching over and above the usual teaching activity of faculty members who hold fiscal-year appointments will be considered as teaching on "overload" and will require approval at all times of year.
      4. UI staff members may serve as instructors of academic courses, including on-campus and distance-education courses, over and above their regularly assigned duties. In addition to the requirements of this policy, UI staff members with faculty appointments shall follow policies related to use of staff time (see, for example, III-17.16 Extra Compensation for University Faculty and Staff and II-18 Conflicts of Commitment and Interest), in particular that the work performed will take place outside the employee's regular work hours or charged to vacation time, unless otherwise approved by their supervisor.
    2. Course number and enrollment limitations. Academic courses taught for extra compensation are limited according to the following:
      1. Academic-term and distance-education courses: Faculty and staff members who hold regular full-time appointments (nine or twelve months) may be permitted to teach one course for extra compensation during the fall, spring, or winter sessions, not to exceed two total courses taught for extra compensation during the academic year. Additionally, faculty and staff members who hold fiscal-year appointments may be approved to teach one course during the summer session.
      2. Exceptions: Exceptions to these limits may be requested in writing to a DEO or equivalent, or, in the case of staff, a supervisor and department head. Once recommended, the exception must be approved by the collegiate dean of the college in which the course is being taught and, if for a course taught through the Office of Distance and Online Education, the Dean of University College.
    3. Compensation. Given the multiple modalities of instruction and collegiate environments, compensation for courses taught for extra compensation will be set by the employing unit in accordance with relevant compensation policies (see III-17.8, III-17.13).