(Amended 5/99; 1/06; 9/07; 10/14; 7/1/17; 8/1/23)
Effective August 1, 2023, this policy has been revised. For individual changes, see the redlined version.
For purposes of this section, the following definitions apply.
- "Sick leave" is defined as credits used by an eligible employee to continue compensation during an absence due to a physical or mental personal illness, bodily injury, medically related disability including disability resulting from pregnancy and/or childbirth, medical, dental, and optical appointments including preventative care, family caregiving, funeral, service as a pall bearer, on-the job injury (to the extent provided for in III-33), or adoption as defined in this section. Sick leave credits cannot be used towards any other type of absence.
- "Immediate family" is defined as and limited to the employee's spouse/domestic partner (same and opposite gender), children, grandchildren, foster children, stepchildren, legal wards, parents, grandparents, foster parents, stepparents, siblings, foster siblings, stepsiblings, children-in-law, siblings-in-law, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, first cousins, corresponding relatives of the employee's spouse/domestic partner, and other persons who are members of the employee's household.
- "Medically related disability" is defined as the personal medical disability of an employee to the extent authorized by the Iowa Code. Medically related disability includes the time during which an employee who gives birth is unable to work because of a medically related disability caused or contributed to by a pregnancy-related condition.
- "Family caregiving leave" is defined as an absence to provide care of and necessary attention to ill or injured members of the employee's immediate family.
- “Ill or injured” is defined as having a physical or mental personal illness, bodily injury, medically related disability including disability resulting from pregnancy and/or childbirth, and medical, dental, and optical appointments including preventative care.
- "Funeral leave" is defined as an absence due to the occurrence of death in the employee's immediate family. (See III-22.4 for attending funerals of those not a member of the employee's immediate family.)
- "Service as a pall bearer" is defined as absence for serving as a pall bearer at the funeral of a person not a member of the employee's immediate family.
- "Adoption leave" is defined as leave taken by a newly adoptive parent for the purpose of adjusting to and caring for the newly adopted child(ren).
- "On-the-job-injury." See III-33 Accidents; III-18 Insurance.
- "Bone marrow and organ donor" is defined as leave necessary for an employee to donate bone marrow or an organ.