(Amended 10/94; 8/02; 5/07; 6/09; 9/11; 7/13; 5/15)
- Membership. Confirmed by the President of the university (with administrative responsibility for membership and chair appointments handled by the Vice President for Research):
- Ten members appointed by the governing body of the faculty, currently the Faculty Senate;
- Four members appointed by the governing body of the staff, currently the Staff Council;
- Two members appointed by the governing body of the students (at least 1 of whom must be a graduate or professional student), currently for purposes of this Council, the joint nominations committee of the UISG and GPSG;
- One postdoctoral researcher member appointed by the joint nominations committee of the UISG and GPSG in consultation with the Graduate College and the University of Iowa Postdoctoral Association (UIPDA);
- One non-voting member appointed by the Emeritus Faculty Council, the executive committee of the Association of Emeritus Faculty;
- The Director of the Iowa Center for Research by Undergraduates (ICRU), a non-voting ex officio member;
- Committee is chaired by a faculty member; chair selection is made by the president of the Faculty Senate.
- Charge to the Council.
- The Council shall be governed by the terms of the General Charter.
- In addition, the Council shall:
- Advise in the formulation, review, and application of policy and guidelines for university research and economic development and its funding both from within and without the university;
- Advise on questions concerning the compliance of research with university policies;
- Advise in developing methods for informing university members about research opportunities and for stimulating, evaluating, and rewarding good research;
- Provide a forum to which faculty and students may refer questions and recommendations concerning university research policies and procedures.
- Only persons who have demonstrated an involvement and proficiency (appropriate to their varying stages of professional development) in research or other types of creative activities and who affirm a broad interest in questions concerning the research function of the university should be nominated and appointed.
- Care should be taken to achieve balanced representation across the university’s varied research interests, spanning disciplines, funding sources, research, scholarship, creative works, and economic development. The Faculty Senate shall appoint members who represent a range of research disciplines including but not limited to the arts, biological sciences, engineering, health sciences, humanities, physical sciences, and social sciences, including faculty members from disciplines where research is not customarily funded by external entities. No more than 2 faculty from one department shall serve on Research Council at the same time.
(See also the Research Council website.)