(Amended 12/96; 5/07; 3/09; 6/09; 7/13)
- Membership. Confirmed by the Executive Vice President and Provost:
- Five members appointed by the governing body of the faculty, currently the Faculty Senate;
- Four members (2 undergraduates and 2 graduate students) appointed by the governing body of the students, currently for the purposes of this committee, the joint nominations committee of the UISG and GPSG;
- Two members appointed by the governing body of the staff, currently the Staff Council.
- Committee is chaired by a faculty member; chair selection is made by the president of the Faculty Senate.
- Charge to the Committee.
- The Committee shall be governed by the terms of the General Charter.
- In addition, the Committee shall:
- Advise on policy regarding the growth of the resources and services the University Libraries provide;
- Advise on policies regarding the assignment of facilities within the libraries and the availability of services which render the libraries more useful to members of the University community and the public;
- Advise on the coordination of the branch libraries and their services and resources with those of the Main Library and the Hardin Library for the Health Sciences;
- Advise on the use and development of library facilities, including the Main Library, the branch libraries, and off-site storage.
- Guidelines. Faculty members recommended for membership to the University Library Committee should be selected and appointed in such a way that at any one time one member of the faculty shall come from the biological sciences, 1 from the humanities, 1 from the physical sciences, 1 from the social sciences, and 1 shall be "at large" from any area or department of the University.
Student members recommended for membership should be selected and appointed in such a way that at any one time 2 members shall be undergraduate students and 2 shall be post-baccalaureate students.
The staff member should be a person who can speak for the staff's interest in and use of the University library facilities.
(See also the Committee on University Libraries website.)