2.8(15) Committee on University Libraries Charter
(Amended 12/96; 5/07; 3/09; 6/09; 7/13; 5/1/23)
Effective May 1, 2023, this charter has been revised. For individual changes, see the redlined version.
- Membership. Confirmed by the Executive Vice President and Provost:
- Five members appointed by the governing body of the faculty, currently the Faculty Senate;
- Four members (2 undergraduates and 2 graduate students) appointed by the governing body of the students, currently for the purposes of this committee, the joint nominations committee of the UISG and GPSG;
- Two members appointed by the governing body of the staff, currently the Staff Council.
- Committee is chaired by a faculty member; chair selection is made by the president of the Faculty Senate.
- Charge to the Committee.
- The Committee shall be governed by the terms of the General Charter.
- In addition, the Committee shall:
- Advise the University Librarian on policies and strategic issues related to the resources and services the University Libraries provide;
- Advise the University Librarian on the needs of library stakeholders, including faculty, students, and staff;
- Advise the University Librarian on issues related to library collections in light of new and changing campus programs, changing patterns of faculty and student use, and specialized needs of the different disciplines; and
- Advise the University Librarian on the use, development, and assignment of space in library facilities, including the Main Library, the Hardin Library for the Health Sciences, the branch libraries, and the high-density archival facility.
- Guidelines. Faculty members recommended for membership to the University Libraries Committee should be selected and appointed in such a way that at any one time one member of the faculty shall come from the biological sciences, 1 from the humanities, 1 from the physical sciences, 1 from the social sciences, and 1 shall be "at large" from any area or department of the university.
Student members recommended for membership should be selected and appointed in such a way that at any one time 2 members shall be undergraduate students and 2 shall be post-baccalaureate students.
The staff member should be a person who can speak for the staff's interest in and use of the university library facilities.
(See also the Committee on University Libraries website.)