(Amended 6/24/05; 5/07; 6/09; 7/13; 5/1/19)
Effective May 1, 2019, this charter has been revised. For individual changes, see the redlined version.
- Charge. The Charter Committee on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion shall be governed by the terms of the General Charter with membership confirmed by the Associate Vice President for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. In addition, the Committee shall:
- Advise on the formulation, review, and application of policies and guidelines that promote and support the full contributions of all of the University's diverse faculty, staff, and students.
- Consider and recommend actions that will help support and fulfill diversity-, equity-, and inclusion-related commitments made by the University under the University of Iowa Strategic Plan and other University programs, plans, and policies.
- Provide a forum to which faculty, staff, and students may refer questions and recommendations concerning University diversity-, equity-, and inclusion-related policies and procedures.
- Four members appointed by the governing body of the faculty, currently the Faculty Senate;
- Four members appointed by the governing body of the staff, currently the Staff Council;
- Four members (2 undergraduates, 1 graduate student, and 1 student from the professional colleges) appointed by the governing body of the students, currently for purposes of this committee, the joint nominations committee of the UISG and GPSG;
- Administrative liaisons: one representative each from the Office of the Executive Vice President and Provost, Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity, Office of the General Counsel, Office of the Vice President for Student Life, and Human Resources.
- Committee is co-chaired by a faculty member and a staff member; chair selections are made by the president of the Faculty Senate and the president of Staff Council respectively.