New P&S classifications or modifications of pay levels of existing classifications are initiated by University Human Resources or a major organizational unit.
- The major organizational unit provides University Human Resources (Compensation and Classification Unit) with:
- an organizational chart;
- justification materials supporting reasons for a new position or a change in the current pay level; and
- a classification description(s).
- The Compensation and Classification unit determines if other areas will be affected by the new/changed position. If so, Compensation and Classification and/or the requesting organizational unit will contact the area(s) involved to see if they concur with the review. A representative of the Compensation and Classification unit will provide guidance on who will coordinate the review with the other units.
- Following consultation with all affected areas, the Compensation and Classification unit will determine if it is appropriate to create a new job description.
- Members of the Compensation and Classification unit will conduct a job analysis on the position and allocate it to a pay level.
- The major organizational unit will be informed of the outcome of the job evaluation process. The organizational unit notifies department supervisors/managers and the impacted employees of the recommendations of the Human Resources Office.
- The Compensation and Classification unit prepares the job description and justification materials and submits them to the Board Office.
- The Board of Regents Office reviews the materials and determines if the request is approved or denied.
*Note: These procedures affect all incumbents of the classification. For review of the classification of an individual position, see III-3.4 Classification Review of Professional and Scientific (P&S) Staff Positions.