The Vice President for Medical Affairs (VPMA) shall be responsible for the business and affairs of UI Health Care, including establishing an integrated strategic direction to achieve UI Health Care’s mission, establishing an integrated budget, and overseeing the operations of UI Health Care. The VPMA shall report to the President of the University, except for those activities for which the VPMA is directly responsible to the Board of Regents, State of Iowa, as set forth in this Operations Manual and applicable law. “Board of Regents” as used in this chapter refers to the Board of Regents acting in their capacity as the governing board for the University of Iowa and as trustees for the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (IC 262.7; BRPM 1.2). The VPMA shall engage a cabinet to advise the VPMA on the management of UI Health Care’s operations at the VPMA’s direction. The cabinet shall be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operational decisions made by the leaders in their areas of responsibility.
- Cabinet. The cabinet shall consist of the VPMA, UIHC chief executive officer, CCOM dean, UIP executive director, and such other individuals who are appointed from time to time by the VPMA, at the VPMA’s sole discretion. All members of the cabinet serve as at-will appointees of the VPMA.
- CCOM dean. The CCOM dean shall report to the VPMA, except for those activities for which the CCOM dean reports to the Provost, as set forth in this Operations Manual.
- UIP executive director. The UIP executive director shall report to the VPMA, provided, however, that such reporting relationship may be delegated to the CCOM dean.
- UIHC CEO. The UIHC CEO shall report to the VPMA.
- Other leadership. The VPMA, with the advice of the cabinet, may authorize other agents of UI Health Care to take such actions as may be necessary to carry out the strategic direction and operations of UI Health Care.