- A complaint that this policy has been violated may be brought through informal or formal channels by any member of the University community, including a third party, or by the University itself. A complaint must state specific and credible allegations to warrant an investigation. There is no time limit for bringing a complaint; however, it may be difficult to substantiate the allegations made in a complaint brought after significant time has passed. Therefore, prompt reporting of complaints is strongly encouraged.
- Substantial weight will be given to the wishes of the alleged victim when determining whether to investigate a complaint, but the University may investigate a complaint even without the alleged victim's consent if circumstances warrant (such as when there are multiple complaints against the same person or allegations are particularly egregious).
- Persons who wish to consult with someone about a specific situation on a confidential basis or learn more about enforcement of this Policy on Violence may contact any of the following offices or organizations:
- Office of the Ombudsperson, C108 Seashore Hall (for faculty, staff, or students);
- Employee Assistance Program, 121-50 University Services Building (for faculty or staff);
- University Counseling Service, 3223 Westlawn (for students);
- Women's Resource and Action Center (for faculty, other instructors, staff, students, or visitors);
- Rape Victim Advocacy Program, Linn Street Place (certified victim advocates) (for faculty, other instructors, staff, or students);
- Domestic Violence Intervention Program, 1105 South Gilbert Court, Iowa City (certified victim advocates) (for faculty, other instructors, staff, students, or visitors).
These offices are exempt from the reporting requirements set forth in II-10.7e below. Other offices may be required to report allegations as described in II-10.7e.
Representatives of these offices or other support persons may accompany an alleged victim during the investigation process if the alleged victim so desires.
(Amended 3/07; 7/15)