(Amended 10/23/18; 5/20/22)
- “University programs with minors”: all programs and activities offered by student organizations or various academic, athletic, or administrative units of the university for participants under the age of 18, including, but not limited to, the hosting of an individual minor by an individual faculty or staff member, subject to the exclusions detailed below in II-16.3.
- “Adult”: an individual 18 years of age or older.
- “Direct contact”: interacting with, supervising, chaperoning, or otherwise overseeing minors in program activities or in recreational and/or residential facilities on behalf of the University of Iowa.
- “Minor”: an individual under 18 years of age, subject to the exclusions detailed below in II-16.3.
- "Pre-college course": a course offered exclusively as part of a pre-college program of study.
- "Research laboratory”: a university facility that provides controlled conditions in which scientific or technological research, experiments, and/or measurement may be performed.
- “Visitor”: an individual, regardless of age, in a university facility as defined in III-32 Visitors in the Workplace.
- “Volunteer”: an individual, regardless of age, who provides services to, or on behalf of, the university and has no legal duty to do so, has no personal interest or gain from the activity, and receives no compensation or consideration (except expense reimbursement) for the services provided.