Skip to main content
20.3 The University Brand Manual and University Brand Committee
- The University Brand Manual is the official register for all approved University of Iowa graphical marks and the definitive resource for the correct use of university graphical marks and other brand-related matters.
- All units of the university, registered student organizations, and university independent contractors are required to comply with all elements of the University Brand Manual when using University of Iowa graphical marks. The purpose of this requirement is to ensure the clear and consistent use of visual identifiers for the university.
- The University Brand Committee is chaired by a representative from the Office of Strategic Communication and includes representatives from Enrollment Management, Trademark Licensing, General Counsel, Human Resources, the University of Iowa Center for Advancement, UI Health Care, Faculty Senate, Staff Council, and UI Student Government. The University Brand Committee’s primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- ensure alignment of the university brand with the university’s strategic direction and values;
- recommend changes to the university brand to the Vice President of External Relations for review and approval by university senior administration;
- approve graphical marks to be included in the University Brand Manual as recommended by the Office of Strategic Communication;
- approve substantive updates to the University Brand Manual as recommended by the Office of Strategic Communication;
- decide any requested exceptions to the University Brand Policy as recommended by the Office of Strategic Communication; and
- recommend action to rectify breaches of the University Brand Policy or to address disputes that don’t rise to a level involving legal action.
- The Office of Strategic Communication is responsible for the day-to-day management of the University Brand Policy. These responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- create, maintain, and update all tools, information, and guidelines necessary for all UI employees, registered student organizations, and University independent contractors to correctly use these resources in full compliance with the University Brand Policy;
- share expertise and provide direction to all University of Iowa employees, registered student organizations, and university independent contractors endeavoring to correctly use a standard UI graphical source identifier in full compliance with the University Brand Policy;
- guide the development of new graphical marks that comply with the University Brand Policy for use in specific campaigns or activities;
- recommend updates to the University Brand Manual to the University Brand Committee;
- recommend use of University of Iowa graphical marks at variance with the University Brand Manual to the University Brand Committee; and,
- in conjunction with the Office of the General Counsel and University of Iowa Trademark Licensing, maintain a record of all third-party applications for use of University of Iowa graphical marks and relevant approvals.