The following definitions apply to this policy:
- "Unit" means a college, department, center, institute, or other similar administrative unit.
- “Source identifier” means anything capable of conveying meaning that identifies the source of a good or service.
- “Visual identity” means source identifiers, color values, typography, imagery, and other visual elements that are included in the university brand guidelines.
- “Stylized wordmark” means a word or phrase presented in a specific, consistently used typeface that is used as an identifier of source.
- “University of Iowa stylized wordmark” means a stylized wordmark that is used by the University of Iowa to identify itself and is cataloged in the University Brand Manual.
- “University of Iowa logos” means the following:
- the term “IOWA” in stylized all-capital block letters primarily in black or gold set against a contrasting field of black or gold;
- the graphical representation of the dome of the University of Iowa’s signature building, the Old Capitol, both alone or combined with University of Iowa stylized wordmark; and
- additional University of Iowa logos approved by the University Brand Committee and catalogued in the University Brand Manual.
- “University of Iowa colors” means the colors black and gold. The precise values of these colors are specified in the University Brand Manual.
- “University of Iowa graphical marks” means the stylized wordmarks, logos, symbols, and colors that visually identify the University of Iowa. The term “University of Iowa graphical marks” does not include the words “University of Iowa" themselves. For the policy governing the use of the University name, see II-33 Use of University Name.
- “Third party” means a person or entity external to the university.
- “Registered student organization” means a student organization at the university which has met all of the obligations set forth in the policy governing the creation of a student organization. See Registration of Student Organizations for details.
- “Communication” means information disseminated by any unit of the university, registered student organization, or independent contractor of the university utilizing any medium that has the capacity to include graphical marks of the university in its presentation. Examples include all printed communication such as flyers, brochures, pamphlets, and posters; digital communication such as e-newsletters, PowerPoint presentations, web sites, and apps; and short and long video communication.