Chapter 7 – Disability Protection Policy and Accessibility Statement
- General. The University of Iowa, as authorized by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974, shall take affirmative steps to employ and advance the employment of qualified individuals with disabilities and qualified disabled veterans and veterans of the Vietnam era at all levels of employment. The affirmative action policy applies to, but is not limited to, the following employment practices:
- Recruitment advertising;
- Rates of pay/other forms of compensation; and
- Selection for training (including apprenticeship).
- The University of Iowa endeavors to make reasonable accommodations for the functional limitations of applicants, employees, and students with disabilities and disabled veterans pursuant to applicable federal and state law. Applicants and employees with disabilities seeking accommodations should contact Faculty and Staff Disability Services. Students with disabilities should contact Student Disability Services.
- Applicants, employees, and students with disabilities at the University of Iowa are protected from coercion, retaliation, interferences, or discrimination for filing a complaint or assisting in an investigation of a complaint under the aforementioned acts. Inquiries and complaints should be directed to the Office of Institutional Equity for a confidential investigation.
- Applicants or employees with disabilities, disabled veterans, or veterans of the Vietnam era desiring more information should contact the Office of Institutional Equity. To obtain a copy of the Affirmative Action Plan for Persons with Disabilities, Disabled Veterans, and Veterans of the Vietnam Era, contact the Office of Institutional Equity, 319-335-0705 or email@example.com.
7.2 Accessibility Statement
In compliance with the University's obligations under applicable federal and state law, all institutional and departmental publications that describe or invite public participation in programs at the University are to contain the following statement:
"Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to attend all University of Iowa-sponsored events. If you are a person with a disability who requires a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in this program, please contact (insert: the sponsoring department or contact person) in advance at (insert: telephone number)."
The sponsoring department name or contact person and telephone number must be incorporated into the statement, as it is the responsibility of the sponsoring department which is most familiar with the event to make the necessary reasonable accommodations.