For the purposes of this policy only, the terms set forth below are defined as follows:
- "Instructor" means all those individuals, paid or unpaid, who teach, coach, evaluate, supervise, allocate financial aid to, or guide research by students in the instructional context as defined below, including but not limited to:
- graduate students with teaching responsibilities;
- academic advisors;
- residence hall professional staff; and
- other instructional personnel.
- "Student" means all individuals who receive instruction under the auspices of the University of Iowa, including but not limited to:
- those who have matriculated into an educational program at the university, whether or not the student is currently enrolled (e.g., students who have matriculated but have not yet registered for classes, students who decide not to enroll for a period of time, and doctoral degree candidates who are not registered);
- postdoctoral fellows;
- medical residents; and
- participants served by internships, practicum experience, outreach, and summer programs and camps.
- "Instructional" or "instructional context" means a context that involves instruction or evaluation or supervision, direct or indirect, of a student's academic work or participation in university programs. These terms also include employment situations where the primary motivation for participation by the employee is instructional. Such situations include, but are not limited to, the employment of medical residents, postdoctoral fellows, teaching assistants, and student research assistants.