(Amended 7/15; 1/20)
Effective January 2020, this policy has been revised. For individual changes, see the redlined version.
- Acts by employees and students. The university's prohibition of harassment as defined by II-14.2 above applies to acts of faculty, other instructors, staff, or students occurring in one or more of the following circumstances:
- on property owned or controlled by the university or by a student organization, or;
- at any location, including through electronic media such as email or social networking websites, and involving any university faculty, staff, or students, provided that:
- The incident occurs at a university-sponsored activity or during an event sponsored by an organization affiliated with the university, including a student organization;
- The responding party or the impacted party was acting in an official capacity for the university during the incident;
- The responding party or the impacted party was conducting university business during the incident;
- The conduct has the purpose or reasonably foreseeable effect of substantially interfering with the work or educational performance of UI students, faculty, or staff;
- The conduct creates an intimidating or hostile environment for anyone who is involved in or seeks to participate in university employment, education, on-campus living, or other university-sponsored activities; or
- The conduct demonstrates that the individual poses a reasonable threat to campus safety and security.
- Acts by persons other than employees or students. The university will make reasonable efforts to address harassment of its faculty, other instructors, staff, or students by persons participating in university-related programs or activities, conducting business with or visiting the university, even if such persons are not directly affiliated with the university. Reports of harassment by visitors to campus and other persons not directly affiliated with the university should be made to an academic or administrative officer or the Office of Institutional Equity (319-335-0705).