Effective February 9, 2021, this is a new policy.
- Introduction. The Omnibus Transportation Employee Testing Act of 1991 requires a use and testing program for controlled substances and alcohol for those employees required to have a commercial driver’s license (CDL).
- Policy statement.
- Covered drivers include University of Iowa faculty, staff, students, and volunteers performing safety-sensitive functions requiring the operation of a commercial motor vehicle as defined by 49 CFR parts 40 and 382.
- Required tests include pre-employment/pre-duty, reasonable suspicion, random, post-accident, and return-to-duty.
- All applicants (new hire or transfer) for positions covered under this testing program must be notified in writing that passing a drug test is a condition of employment. In addition, the university is required to obtain information on the selected applicant’s positive alcohol and drug testing results for the preceding two years. Because this information can be obtained only with the written consent of the applicant, the consent becomes a condition of employment.
An offer of employment must be conditional based upon verification of previous testing results and passing a drug test.
- Resources. Additional information may be found at: https://riskmanagement.fo.uiowa.edu/.