The function of the Purchasing Office is the organization and administration of centralized purchasing services for all departments of the University. In providing these services and in accordance with sound business practices, the office seeks to realize for the University the maximum value for every dollar expended.
To achieve this goal, the Purchasing Office has been charged by the President of the University and the Board of Regents, State of Iowa, with responsibility for the following:
- Securing competitive bids to obtain maximum value from the expenditures of University funds.
- Maintaining liaison with the vendors that provide goods and services to the University.
- Coordinating the procurement of goods and services for the academic, administrative, and research departments of the University.
- Developing sources of supply to assure that the University departments have an adequate number of vendors from which to obtain supplies, equipment, and services.
- The Purchasing Department follows the Code of Ethics of the National Association of Educational Procurement (NAEP), the professional association serving the purchasing/materials management professionals who support higher education and not-for-profit health care organizations.