(Amended 12/06; 1/09; 2/11; 10/15)
- General. Fleet Service vehicles may be rented on a short-term or leased on a long-term basis for official University business. The department to which a University vehicle is assigned is responsible for ascertaining that the vehicle is operated by authorized individuals, in accordance with the University of Iowa Fleet Safety Program and used only on official University business. Official University business constitutes business directly concerned with University activities and for which expenses are a proper charge to the University. Authorized drivers and passengers are described in V-19.5 Fleet Safety Program. Family members may be transported only if they are qualified University employees and also traveling on official University business.
- Reservations. Rental vehicles may be reserved by means of a Fleet Services requisition approved by the dean, departmental executive officer, or administrative officer and submitted to Fleet Services as far in advance as possible (at least three days). Requisitions may be accepted on a "same day" basis when vehicles are available. Fleet Service vehicles may be requisitioned on a long-term basis when the need for continued use of a vehicle exists. Minimum lease term is three months and is based on vehicle availability. Requisitions for monthly leases will require a departmental written justification and approval by the University Fleet Service Manager (and the Director of Parking and Transportation).
- Operating laws and regulations. Fleet Service vehicles are to be operated in accordance with all applicable laws and Fleet Service rules and regulations (see V-19.5 Fleet Safety Program).
- Permanent assignments. Vehicles assigned to departments on a permanent basis are to be parked overnight in University parking facilities and are not to be driven to and from work, unless prior written approval has been granted. Approval may be granted by the unit's dean or vice president by sending a letter to Fleet Services explaining the need for the vehicle to be driven to and from work. All other UI fleet and fleet safety policies apply.
- Servicing. All Fleet Service vehicles driven in the Iowa City area must be serviced (gas, oil, repairs, etc.) at the Fleet Services maintenance facility. The Fleet Services fueling station is open 24 hours. Appointments for vehicle maintenance can be made by contacting the Fleet Services Shop Supervisor.
- Accidents/claims. Accidents must be reported to the Fleet Services office as soon as possible (call Public Safety after hours). Regent accident forms must be filed with the Fleet Services office within 48 hours of an accident; accidents involving an injury must be reported immediately. An Iowa Department of Transportation Report Form must also be filed within 72 hours if an accident occurring anywhere within the State of Iowa results in death, personal injury, or total property damages of $1,500 or more, unless the accident is investigated by an Iowa law enforcement agency.
- Vehicle identification and graphics policy. The University logo and wordmark must be placed on the left and right side of University vehicles, ideally on the driver and passenger doors. Additionally, the name of the college, department, or program that owns or operates a particular vehicle should appear under the wordmark on that vehicle.
Logo, wordmark, and college/department/program name decals for vehicles are to be installed by Fleet Services. The application of any additional logos or graphics to a vehicle is prohibited without prior approval by Fleet Services.
For additional information about the University's identity system, see http://vpsc.uiowa.edu/brand/. For more information on this vehicle identification and graphics policy, contact the Director of Parking and Transportation.