2.6 Resources and Support for Victims/Survivors

(Amended 7/15)

Persons who experience misconduct may respond to the experience in many different ways, including feeling confused, vulnerable, out of control, embarrassed, angry, distrustful, stressed, or depressed. The University provides a variety of resources to assist students with healing, safety planning, reviewing complaint options, and securing long-term support.

  1. Confidential assistance and advocacy for students who have experienced sexual misconduct or other unwelcome sexual behavior, dating/domestic violence, and/or stalking:

     A student may receive 24-hour assistance from a certified victim advocate by calling the Rape Victim Advocacy Program (RVAP) at 319-335-6000 or the Domestic Violence Intervention Program (DVIP) at 800-373-1043. Certified victim advocates are trained to confidentially answer questions, provide information about options, and help with safety planning. They may accompany and provide support to a student during a medical, legal, or student misconduct meeting. The University encourages all students who believe they may have been victims of misconduct to contact RVAP or DVIP.

  2. Academic and housing accommodations; interim actions to protect students: 

    A student who has reported being the victim of sexual misconduct, dating/domestic violence, and/or stalking may contact the Office of the Sexual Misconduct Response Coordinator at 319-335-6200 to request any of the following: ​​
    1. a change of on-campus housing location to a different on-campus location if alternate housing is available;
    2. assistance in securing a transfer of class sections;
    3. assistance in arranging incompletes, leaves, or withdrawal;
    4. issuance of a no-contact directive if the University determines that continued contact between a student who has made a complaint, a student who has been accused of sexual misconduct, and/or a witness would be detrimental to any of the parties' welfare;
    5. other interim actions, when necessary to protect student welfare, such as a campus and/or building ban or interim suspension.
    Requests for such arrangements or actions will be granted in appropriate circumstances as determined by the Dean of Students or the Sexual Misconduct Response/Deputy Title IX Coordinator, or their designees.
  3. Protection against retaliation. The University of Iowa prohibits retaliatory action against any person making a complaint of sexual misconduct or against any person cooperating in the investigation of any charge of sexual misconduct (see II-11 Anti-Retaliation). This includes any form of intimidation, threats, or harassment. Acts of retaliation constitute a violation of University policy and of the Code of Student Life and will result in disciplinary action. Retaliation should be reported to the Office of the Sexual Misconduct Response Coordinator.
  4. Medical assistance. Students who have experienced a recent sexual assault are strongly encouraged to visit a hospital or clinic to assess and address their medical needs. The exam can assess a victim's injuries and provide necessary medical advice and medication for concerns regarding pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections (STI). A Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner is available at both Iowa City hospitals to perform an evidentiary examination. Receiving an evidentiary examination does not mean that a victim must make a complaint to the University or to law enforcement. Rather, the examination serves to preserve evidence in the event that a victim may wish to make a complaint in the future.

    A sexual assault evidentiary exam is fully covered and paid for by the State of Iowa and will not be submitted for insurance purposes.

    ​To secure medical assistance and/or an evidentiary exam, visit:

    University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics
    Emergency Department (open 24 hours)
    200 Hawkins Drive
    Carver Pavilion, Level 1 
    Iowa City, Iowa 52242 
    Emergency Medicine phone: 319-356-2233 
    UIHC Nurseline (operated 24 hours): 319-384-8442
  5. University of Iowa Department of Public Safety. Students who have experienced sexual misconduct, dating/domestic violence, or stalking are encouraged to seek the assistance of the University of Iowa Department of Public Safety at 319-335-5022. If a student is not sure whether criminal conduct is involved, an officer can assist the student in determining whether a crime has been committed. If the misconduct occurred off campus, an officer can assist the student in contacting the appropriate law enforcement agency. A student can request and receive the assistance of the Department of Public Safety without making a criminal complaint or making a complaint to the University. However, in cases of domestic violence, law enforcement officers are mandated to make an arrest of the primary physical aggressor when there is evidence of an assault and a physical injury has occurred. 

    The Department of Public Safety is committed to ensuring that students who report misconduct receive comprehensive care, regardless of whether or not they wish to make a criminal complaint.

    If a student contacts UI Public Safety, an officer will:
    1. call a certified victim advocate to assist the student in every step of the process;
    2. accompany the student to the hospital if the student wishes;
    3. notify the University's Office of the Sexual Misconduct Response Coordinator of the report;
    4. talk with the student privately and treat the student with respect, sensitivity, and dignity.

    ​If the student feels more comfortable talking with a female or male officer, the Department of Public Safety will do its best to accommodate that request.

    Even if an assault took place on non-University property or was reported to another law enforcement agency, students are encouraged to contact the Department of Public Safety for assistance with safety issues while on campus (e.g., protection from particular individuals).