2.8 Confidentiality

(Amended 7/15)

Students who would like to discuss their situations in a private environment, and share or seek information about a sexual misconduct, dating/domestic violence, or stalking issue without making a complaint, have a number of options. At various offices on campus and off campus, students can speak to individuals who have professional or legal obligations to keep communications with the student confidential. When seeking advice and support, students who are concerned about confidentiality should always discuss that concern with the person to whom they are speaking, and should inquire about any limits on that confidentiality.

Generally, under Iowa law, confidentiality applies when a student seeks services from the following persons:

  1. An RVAP victim advocate (319-335-6000)  or DVIP victim advocate (800-373-1043) [IC 915.20A]
  2. A psychological counselor or other mental health professional, including counselors at the University Counseling Service (319-335-7294), the Women's Resource and Action Center (319-335-1486), and the Employee Assistance Program (319-335-2085) [IC 228.2 and 622.10];
  3. A health care provider, including medical professionals at Student Health and Wellness and The University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics [IC 622.10];
  4. A personal attorney [IC 622.10];
  5. A member of the clergy [IC 622.10].

In addition, the staff at the Office of the Ombudsperson (319-335-3608) have a professional obligation to keep their communications with clients confidential and will not disclose those communications unless required to do so by court order or to avoid imminent physical harm.