The University of Iowa wordmark is a graphic representation of the words "The University of Iowa." The logo is a graphic representation of the Old Capitol dome.
With these elements, the University can achieve the goal of presenting a consistent image to external audiences without limiting design creativity and variety. The system is flexible so that colleges, departments, or programs can design their external communications within the bounds of the graphic identity guidelines.
The wordmark and logo graphics (available in a variety of layout formats on the University Brand Manual website at vpsc.uiowa.edu/brand/) must be reproduced from these authorized graphics and cannot be redrawn, reproportioned, embellished, or modified in any way.
- Use in Print. Any publication intended for an external audience (such as prospective undergraduate, graduate, or professional students; prospective faculty or staff members; and alumni, legislators, and other friends of the University) must contain 1) The University of Iowa's wordmark and logo on the front cover, and 2) the wordmark on the back cover.
The wordmark and logo can be used together as a single element, or they can be separated from each other. The logo and wordmark can be printed as a positive or as a reverse (white). Black, white, and gold are preferred, but another color may be used in the case of a two-color or three-color project. The wordmark, when set on two lines, may not be less than one inch wide. When set on one line, it may not be less than 1.25 inches wide. The logo should not appear smaller than 3/8 inch in height.
The wordmark or logo is not to be used in a way that might suggest University endorsement of any non-University product or service (see also II-33 Use of University Name) unless prior approval is obtained from the Graphic Identity Committee.
- Use on websites. All official University web pages -- including college, department, unit, and course pages -- should include the University's logo and wordmark. The logo and wordmark should be clearly displayed within the top 133 pixels of each page, and should be linked to the University's home page (https://uiowa.edu).
Preferred colors for the logo and wordmark are black, white, or gold. When they appear together, both the logo and wordmark should be the same color. Minimum size for the logo is 31 pixels in height. Minimum size for the wordmark is measured by the initial capital "T," which must be no smaller than 11 pixels high.
- Color palette. For a list of yellow and black colors that will print or represent the colors accurately, see the University Brand Manual. A suggested palette of colors to use on two- or three-color brochures also is available.
- Exceptions. It may be difficult to place both the wordmark and logo on some printed pieces. The following items are exceptions to the standard placement of logo and wordmark:
- Postcards (must appear on the back only),
- Notecards (must appear on the back only),
- Envelopes (must appear on the mailer side only),
- Scholarly journals (not required on the front or back cover; suggested placement is on the inside front cover),
- Bumper stickers (may be omitted),
- Nametags (may be omitted),
- Small specialty products such as pens, mugs, hats, and T-shirts (may be omitted), and
- Newspaper advertisements (use of wordmark required, use of logo strongly encouraged; see paragraph d below),
- Display advertising. Display ads created for University publications such as the Hancher playbill, the Division of Performing Arts programs, or other University materials in which the logo and wordmark appear on the front cover are encouraged to use the logo and wordmark but are not required to do so. Display ads created for newspapers (including The Daily Iowan), magazines, and other printed media must include the logo and wordmark.
For additional consultation on logo and wordmark use, contact the Office of Strategic Communication.
- Working with outside designers. Projects developed for University units by non-University designers must comply with University graphic identity standards. Designs must comply with University identity standards.
- Licensing Program. The University's logo and wordmark are registered trademarks. The Iowa Licensing Program protects the University's legal interests in those trademarks by controlling their proper use.
All merchandise bearing the marks of The University of Iowa (logo, wordmark, Tiger Hawk, Herky, etc.) must be licensed with the Iowa Licensing Program, which approves all designs of products entering the retail marketplace. In addition, the program ensures that all products and designs submitted for licensing project the proper image of the University and the athletics program. No retail outlet or vendors are exempt, including the IMU Bookstore, the Iowa Hawk Shop, Finkbine Golf Course, and projects sponsored by University departments or University-recognized student groups.
- (Reserved: Standards for Official University Websites.)